Monday, June 3, 2013

Beans, beans, the musical fruit....

Hi everyone!

I bet you couldn't help yourself but finish off the title, right? LOL.

I'm behind again on my new-to-me recipe resolution.  But that's ok, I'm not stressing about it.  I'm still doing it, though - and we're in June now!  Yay for me!

This week's recipe comes courtesy of my friend's cousin's wife's Mom.  Got that? ;)  I do not like baked beans.  Categorically do NOT like baked beans.  Never have.  Anyway, I went to my friend's wedding shower on the long weekend in May.  Her cousin's wife hosted it (see where I'm going with this?).  Karen (the cousin's wife) put on a FEAST for us.  And the first dish that she served (yes, it was a sit-down meal at this shower.  Totally blew me away!) was these beans.  I thought it was chili, so I took a big spoonful.  Thought it didn't have much kick for a chili.  Took another spoonful, still thought it was kind of different tasting for chili.  Then it hit me - I was eating BAKED BEANS!  That had hamburger in it!?  And.... I liked it?  Will wonders never cease!

Here is a photo of the ingredients:


And now you can understand why I first thought it was chili, right?

Here is the recipe that I got from Karen.  It's from her Mom.

1/2 lb hamburger
1/2 lb chopped bacon
1 chopped onion
1/3 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup white sugar
1/4 cup ketchup
1/4 cup barbecue sauce
2 tbsp prepared (yellow) mustard
2 tbsp molasses
1 tsp chili powder
1 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
1-14oz can kidney beans
1-14oz can Pork & Beans
1-14oz can lima beans

Brown hamburger, bacon and onion in a pan.  Add the rest of the ingredients (not the cans of beans yet though).  Mix well.  Place in a roaster.

Do NOT drain the beans.

Add the cans of beans (with liquid) to the roaster with the rest of the ingredients.  Mix well.
Bake for 1 hour at 350 degrees, covered.

Verdict:  I still liked it!  I had it for supper last night, and brought it to work today for lunch.  I think I like this one because of the hamburger, and the lima beans.  It's not just "mush", which is what I associate baked beans to.  The lima beans and kidney beans help to give it some texture.

I think this recipe is a keeper.  Thanks to Karen's Mom!

No comments:

Post a Comment